The Limerick Historical Society, Inc., is organized for educational purposes; to collect information and artifacts relating to the history of Limerick, Maine and surrounding areas, and to provide guidance to the town regarding the preservation and restoration of its historic buildings.
The Limerick, Maine historical society was founded in 1981 and was reorganized as a non-profit corporation in 1998. Its collections are kept in the town-owned Moore Building, the law office of Luther Moore during the late 1800’s, and the society-owned Limerick Academy which served as a school from 1881 to 1925. Both are on Main Street.
An annual open house is held at the Limerick Academy, often featuring special exhibits. This building is undergoing restoration, and is an important focus of the society’s activities.
The Moore building contains information on area cemeteries, genealogical materials, and other records of town history. The two buildings are open by chance or by special appointment. Stop in when you see the flag.
The society is all-volunteer. Volunteers are needed and welcome. Please consider joining a committee, or help with one of our events. And, be sure to visit our table at elections, attend our events, and renew your membership.
A generalized listing of items in the Society’s collection is yet to be compiled. We have scrapbooks, binders of photos sorted into categories, store ledgers, town reports, and many other items. The society does not offer regular hours; the buildings are open when the flag is out, or by appointment. The Limerick Public Library keeps some items that can be accessed when the library is open.
Available at the Limerick library:
Here are some highlights of the information available at the library. For contact info and hours go to: http://limerickme.org/library.html To search the catalog online, go to the library site and enter Limerick in the search field.
Annual Report of the Town Officers of the Town of Limerick, 1909, 1910, 1929, 1937, 1938, 1948, and up to the present. This collection is incomplete.
The high school yearbook, The Sokokis, from 1936 to 1969, incomplete collection.
The Fire of 1947, a video on VHS.
An uncatalogued item, Souvenir of Limerick, Maine 1912, published by The Maine Map & Register Co., Brunswick, Maine gives some history with maps, of Limerick up to 1912.
Cemetery Listings: Many small cemeteries are documented and this listing is available at the library. An Eagle Scout undertook a comprehensive search throughout Limerick to seek out a more complete list of cemeteries, some of which are not in the list at the library. The finished document, accompanied by a map, was placed into the hands of the American Legion, and the original was lost to a computer crash. The Legion has retained what may be the only copy of this work.
As listed on the American Legion Dept. of Maine Posts: White-Tibbetts Post 55, P.O. Box 67 Limerick ME.
An interesting book of early lore that includes Limerick (the word, “Almuchicoitt” is Penobscot) (not available for check out):
Almuchicoitt: Land of the Little Dog, by William Teg, published in 1950
Vital Records of Limerick, Maine: “Reproduced by Ancient Landmarks Society of Parsonsfield 1988” This manuscript is said to have been “rescued from the town dump after 100 years,” and includes records dating back to 1779.
1790 Census of Maine. Entries for Limerick are listed under York county.
The public is invited to join us for all programs and events. All are free of charge except for the Penny Auction which is a fundraising event.
Thurs., April 26, 7pm at Limerick Brick Town House. Presented by Bill Catanseye. Hear the history of how repair cars kept rail travel a viable means of transportation in a growing country. Bill brings an actual ROW (repair of way) car with him!
75th Anniversary of Tibbetts Memorial Park
Thurs., May 17, 7pm at Limerick Brick Town House. Presented by Vickie Carroll & Denise Benton of the Veterans Memorial Committee. History of the site where Tibbetts Park is located and current information about Herman Tibbetts. The process of creating the new Veterans Memorial Park, and plans for the upcoming Memorial Day Ceremony.
Annual Penny Auction
Sat., May 26, 2pm at Limerick Brick Town House. Our 17th Annual Penny Auction & Silent Auction. The doors will open at 2 pm. Children's section, toddler section along with zillions of new items for everyone. Look around and place your tickets until 6pm. Drawings begin at 6 pm. A night of family fun and laughter!
History of the Limerick Fire Department
Thurs., June 21, 7pm at Limerick Fire House, 24 School Street. Presented by Del Floyd. History of the volunteer fire department from 1928. Hear about some of the monumental fires that shaped Main Street Limerick.
Open House at the Academy: History of Limerick Main Street Buildings
Sat., July 21, 9am-2pm at Limerick Academy Building, Locust Hill Rd. Visit the Academy and see a gallery of photos and information about Limerick’s Historical District on National Register of Historic Places.
Walking Tour at 10:30 am.
Limerick Cemeteries: Graves & Grave Stones
Thurs., Aug. 16, 7pm at Limerick Brick Town House. Presented by Ed Dolbec, Gerald Provencher, Mike Ward & Ray Bishop. Also Angela Tibbetts of the Maine Old Cemetery Association. We will see a demonstration of how to clean graves stones.
Baptist Society Church Cemetery Walk
Sat., Sept. 15, 2pm at Limerick Baptist Society Church, Main Street. Learn the history of the "old church on the hill" and hear what is being done to fix the building and repair the belfry. Use our cemetery walking map to locate plots and markers to read about some of the most
fascinating residents buried here beside the church.
Fire & Ice: Limerick Fires & Ice Storm of 1998
Thurs., Oct. 18, 7pm at Limerick Brick Town House, Main Street. Presented by Shirley Keller. Photos, videos, information about St. Matthews Church Fire, 1989, Main Street Sales Fire, 1991, Limerick Mill Fire, 1994 and Ice Storm, 1998.
Potluck Supper & Annual Meeting
Sun., Nov. 11, 5-7pm at Limerick Municipal Building, 55 Washington St. Our final meeting of the year, bring a dish to share for potluck supper. We will hear annual reports and hold the election of officers and directors for the upcoming year. We may discuss any pertinent issues, if needed. The President announces committee members and asks for ideas for next year. The evening closes with a play reading.
We are providing these links for your interest and for research purposes.
National Register of Historic Places, FAQs
Limerick nomination papers for historical district
Maine Historical Societies
Maine Archives and Museums Organization
National Register of Historic Places, York County
Limerick Upper Village Historic District
Organizations Active in Limerick
The Research Club.
on facebook as GFWC Research Club of Limerick
Limerick-Newfield Lions Club
on facebook as Freedom #42 Masonic Lodge Limerick Maine
White-Tibbetts Post 55, P.O. Box 67 Limerick ME